Dr. A. S. M. A. HaseebProfessor
Department of Nanomaterials and Ceramic Engineering
Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
Phone (Off):- PABX: +880-2-55167100Ext.: 7683
A. S. M. A. Haseeb completed his bachelor and master’s degrees in metallurgical engineering from the Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) Dhaka in 1984 and 1986 respectively. He received his PhD in 1992 in materials engineering from the Catholic University of Leuven (KU Leuven), Belgium.
He is currently working as a professor in the Department of Nanomaterials and Ceramic Engineering (NCE), Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Dhaka. Prior to joining the NCE Dept., BUET, he worked as a professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Malaya (UM), Kuala Lumpur during Dec 2006 - June 2022. He served, during 2013-2022, as the Dean of Innovative Industry and Sustainability Research Cluster, Institute of Research Management and Monitoring, UM. He also worked as the Acting Associate Vice Chancellor (Industry and Community Engagement) in UM in 2021. He served, in the past, as the head of the Mechanical Engineering Department at UM. Prior to joining UM, he was a professor at the Department of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering at BUET where he also was also the head of the department.
He gathered considerable experience in academic and research administration. As the Head of the Department, Mechanical Engineering Department and as the Programme Coordinator, Materials Engineering Programme at UM, Prof. Haseeb led accreditation related activities for Mechanical Engineering programme and Materials Engineering programme, and implemented outcome based education. As a research dean at the central administration of the university, he administered multimillion dollar research programmes every year in UM. He initiated, established and administered different innovative research grant programmes, such as Impact Oriented Interdisciplinary Research Programme, Grand Challenges Research Programme, Industry Driven Innovative Grant Programme etc. He played key roles in the development strategic research plans for UM in 2013 and 2018.
His research interest includes semiconducting oxide based nanostructures for gas sensing applications, electronic packaging materials and degradation of materials in hostile environment. Prof. Haseeb is a Fellow of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, UK, and a Chartered Engineer, The Engineering Council, UK. He is also a Member of the Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (TMS), USA and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), USA.
He is the Editor-in-Chief of the Encyclopedia of Materials: Electronics (Elsevier). He was the founder Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Research Governance and Management (JRMG). Prof. Haseeb is a Regional Editor of the journal - Advances in Materials and Processing Technologies (AMPT International Journal) published by Taylor & Francis. He is also on the editorial board of the ASEAN Engineering Journal.
Prof. Haseeb was a European Research Fellow at the Department of Materials, Oxford University, UK in 2006; an Alexander von Humboldt Fellow at the Institute of Microtechnology, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Germany in 2005; an Invited JSPS Research Fellow at the Surface and Thin Film Laboratory, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Kyushu University, Japan in 1999; and a Visiting Research Fellow at the Institute of Theoretical and Applied Physical Chemistry (INIFTA), University of La Plata, Argentina in 1998.
Link to full CV (Please click)
Full List of Publications (Please click)
Some Media Articles (Please click)
Events, Professional/Community Service (Please click)
Selected journal publications:
- Mahmood Md Arafat, ASMA Haseeb, Shaifulazuar Rozali, Dermot Brabazon, BMA Rahman, Ken TV Grattan, Sumsun Naher, “Synthesis of ZnO and CuO Nanowires by Thermal Oxidation on Metallic Substrates”, Key Engineering Materials 926 (2022) 1703-1712
- D. Zhou, A.S.M.A. Haseeb, A. Andriyana, “Mechanical Performance of Advanced Multicomponent Lead-Free Solder Alloy under Thermal Aging”, Materials Today Communications 33 (2022) 104430
- S. Wakeel, A. S. M. A. Haseeb, M. A. Amalina and K. L. Hoon, “Effects of Commercial No-Clean Flux on Reliability of Fine Pitch Flip-Chip Package with Solder Bumps and Copper Pillars”, IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, 12(1) (2022) 155-167 [WoS-indexed]
- Golnoush Zamiri, A.S. M. A. Haseeb, Syam G. Krishnan, Arshid Numan, Priyanka Jagadish, Mohammad Khalid, ‘Ternary Nanocomposite Cathodes Based on 3D Graphene-Ag Nanoparticle-Polyaniline for Hybrid Electrochemical Energy Device’, Synthetic Metals, 282 (2021) 116932 [WoS-indexed]
- M. M. Arafat, B. Dinan, A. S. M. A. Haseeb, S. A. Akbar, B. M. A. Rahman, S. Rozali, S. Naher, ‘Growth of 1D TiO2 Nanostructures on Ti Substrates Incorporated with Residual Stress through Humid Oxidation and their Characterizations’, Nanotechnology, 32(47) (2021) 17. doi: 10.1088/1361-6528/ac1d77 [WoS-indexed]
- E L Lee, A. S. M. A. Haseeb, W J Basirun, Y H Wong, M F M Sabri, B Y Low, ‘In-situ Study of Electrochemical Migration of Tin in the Presence of Bromide Ion’, Nature Scientific Reports 11 (1) (2021) 1-15 [WoS-indexed]
- Aainaa Aqilah Baharuddin, Bee Chin Ang, A.S.M.A.Haseeb, Yew Hoong Wong, ‘Improvement of N-ZnO Chemiresistive Gas Sensor toward Lower Detection Limit of Acetone and Ethanol at Low Operating Temperature’, Materials Letters, 303 (2021) 130562 [WoS-indexed]
- Bushra Naureen, A. S. M. A. Haseeb, W. J. Basirun, Farina Muhamad, ‘Synthesis and Degradation of 3D Biodegradable Polyurethane Foam Scaffolds based on Poly (Propylene Fumarate) and Poly[(R)-3-Hydroxybutyrate’, Materials Today Communications, 28 (2021) 102536 [WoS-indexed]
- Yi Sing Goh, Yingxin Goh, Pay Ying Chia & A. S. M. A. Haseeb, ‘Formation and Nanomechanical Properties of Intermetallic Compounds in Electrodeposited Cu–Sn–Co Multilayers’, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, 32 (2021) 9490–9499 [WoS-indexed]
- D. Zhou, A. Andriyana, A.S.M.A. Haseeb, Y.H. Wong, M.F.M. Sabri, B. Y. Low, X. S. Pang, P.L. Eu, L.C. Tan, ‘A Parametric Study of Thermal Stress and Analysis of Creep Strain under Thermal Cyclic Loading in a Hybrid Quad Flat Package’, IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, 11 (30) (2021) 435-443 [WoS-indexed]
- M M Arafat, S Rozali, A. S. M. A. Haseeb and S Ibrahim, ‘Direct and Catalyst-Free Synthesis of ZnO Nanowires on Brass by Thermal Oxidation’, Nanotechnology, 31 (2020) 175603 [WoS-indexed]
- T. Tharsika, M. Thanihaichelvan , A.S.M.A. Haseeb, S.A. Akbar, ‘Highly Sensitive and Selective Ethanol Sensor Based on ZnO Nanorod on SnO2 Thin Film Fabricated by Spray Pyrolysis’, Frontiers in Materials, section Functional Ceramics, 6 (2019) 122, doi: 10.3389/fmats.2019.00122 [WoS-indexed]
- M. M. Arafat, J. Y. Ong, A. S. M. A. Haseeb, ‘Selectivity Shifting Behavior of Pd Nanoparticle Loaded Zinc Stannate/Zinc Oxide (Zn2SnO4/ZnO) Nanowire Sensors’, Applied Surface Science, 435 (2018) 928-936 [WoS-indexed]
- K. H. Goh, A. S. M. A. Haseeb, Y.H. Wong, ‘Structural Characteristics of Samarium Oxynitride on Silicon Substrate’, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 722 (2017) 729-739 [WoS-indexed]
- K.H. Goh, A. S. M. A. Haseeb, Y.H. Wong, ‘Lanthanide Rare Earth Oxide Thin Film as an Alternative Gate Oxide’, Materials Science in Semiconductor Processing, 68 (2017) 302-315 [WoS-indexed]
- S. M. A. Haseeb, M. M. Arafat, S. L. Tay, Y. M. Leong, ‘Effects of Metallic Nanoparticles on Interfacial Intermetallic Compounds in Tin-Based Solders for Microelectronic Packaging’, Journal of Electronic Materials, 46 (2017) 5503-5518 [WoS-indexed]
- M. M. Arafat, A. S. M. A. Haseeb, S. A. Akbar, M. Z. Quadir, ‘In-situ Fabricated Gas Sensors based on One Dimensional Core-Shell TiO2-Al2O3 Nanostructures’, Sensors and Actuators B, 238 (2017) 972-984. [WoS-indexed]